Erica K. Freeman
128 Fitzwater Street / Philadelphia, PA 19147
267/496-5253 / email@example.com / http://www.ericafreeman.com
- Copy editor and writer, who is passionate about accuracy, yet devoted to maintaining the integrity of clients’ writing styles.
- Published academic author; experienced in academic, creative, news, and business editing & writing.
- Is skilled in use of Chicago Manual of Style and AP Style, as well as social media and blog platforms such as Twitter, Tumblr, and WordPress.com.
- Has three years newspaper copyediting experience and more than ten years of non-profit industry experience.
- Copy Editing/Proofreading/Writing
- Academic and Professional Writing & Research
- Internet/Mac & PC (including Mac OS, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel)
- AP Style Manual, The Chicago Manual of Style
EDITING / COPYEDITING / PROOFREADING EXPERIENCE
- Provide writing, editing, copy-editing, and proofreading services on a freelance basis with a focus on academic writing, memoirs, non-fiction books, and fiction.
- At the Philadelphia Tribune, the oldest, continuously run, African-American newspaper in the country, copy edited articles and photo captions; wrote front page and internal headlines; and proofed dummy sheets. Selected news pieces for publication.
- Proofread Graterfriends, a monthly periodical on an ongoing, volunteer basis for the Pennsylvania Prison Society, the oldest prison reform organization in the U.S.
COPY EDITOR, WRITER, RESEARCHER, Philadelphia, PA
Part-time: 2010 – 2013
Full-time: 2013 – present
THE PHILADELPHIA TRIBUNE, Philadelphia, PA
Newspaper Copy Editor: June 2010 – February 2013
KORN FERRY INTERNATIONAL, Philadelphia, PA
Research Associate, Healthcare Services Practice: May 2007 – November 2008
MAGEE REHABILITATION HOSPITAL, Philadelphia, PA
Grant Writer & Fundraising Research Specialist: February 2006 – May 2007
AMERICAN RED CROSS, SOUTHEASTERN PA CHAPTER, Philadelphia, PA
Interim HR Coordinator & Development Associate: February 2005 – February 2006
BREASTCANCER.ORG, Bala Cynwyd, PA
Prospect Research Consultant: 2003 – 2005
THE CURTIS INSTITUTE OF MUSIC, Philadelphia, PA
Prospect Researcher: April 2000 – July 2004
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA – Philadelphia, PA
Master of Liberal Arts (M.L.A., 1995), Concentrations in Women’s Studies & African-American Studies
HAVERFORD COLLEGE – Haverford, PA
Bachelor of Arts in English (B.A., 1991), Concentration in Creative Writing
“Black Female Identity in Nineteenth Century American Slavery: Dialogism and Resistance” Journal of Graduate Liberal Arts Studies, 1996
CURRENT VOLUNTEER AFFILIATION
Member, Pennsylvania Prison Society
- Editorial Freelancers Association
- American Copy Editors Society
- Freelancers Union